If you were offered a thousand dollars if you could find ten ant hills in ten minutes, would you win the money? Our guess is that you would have no problem. For most property owners, all they would have to do is leave their home or business and check their yard. If this is the case for you, and ants are building nests all-around your property, we have a resource for you today. To keep ants out of your Charleston home, here are nine quick and simple prevention tips you should use.
Ants Common Around Charleston
There are several species of ants that are native to Charleston, but only a few that are known for causing trouble in and around homes and businesses. Here are a few of the most common species of ants in our area and what you need to know about each.
Pavement Ants: Pavement ants are light brown to black, ¼” long pests that are known for building their nests around and beneath driveways, sidewalks, and pavement. These small pests often build their nests outside structures and then invade indoors to scavenge for food, becoming a nuisance for anyone inside.
Carpenter Ants: Carpenter ants are red and black or solidly black, ¼” to ½” long, and are known for building their nests into the structural wood of homes and businesses. This behavior is extremely destructive and, given enough time, can cost property owners thousands of dollars in repair costs.
Pharaoh Ants: Pharaoh ants are yellowish-brown, 1/16” long, and are some of the most dangerous ants here in America. Known for spreading a number of diseases including salmonellosis, and staphylococcus, Pharaoh ants are often found invading homes and businesses in search of food, water, and shelter.
Fire Ants: Fire ants are red with black abdomens, 1/16” to ⅕” in length, and are capable of biting as well as stinging. Not known for invading indoors, fire ants are typically outdoor pests. When interacted with, fire ants will attack causing irritation, pain, and a burning sensation around areas where they sting.
How To Keep Ants Out Of Your Home/Business
Ants are drawn to homes for several reasons. To ensure ants stay out of your home or business, here are nine effective prevention tips our experts recommend.
- Seal up gaps, cracks, and holes in your building’s exterior using a caulking gun or some liquid cement.
- Fix leaky piping, repair broken gutters, and address other moisture issues around your property.
- Trim back bushes and tree branches from the exterior of your home or business.
- Reduce clutter around your property.
- Repair torn window/door screens, worn weather stripping, and damaged door sweeps.
- Keep windows and doors closed as much as possible.
- Clean indoors regularly and do your best to keep things clean.
- Be careful not to leave leftover foods out. Instead, store them inside airtight containers.
- Clean up after pets and wash out their food and water bowls after they are done with them.
The Absolute Best Way To Deal With Ants
If you are looking for the absolute best and most effective way to keep ants out of your home or business, we have just the option for you. At Anchor Pest Management, we excel in eliminating pests and keeping them away from Charleston properties. No matter what type of ant is threatening to cause trouble around your home, we have a solution.
Reach out to us today to find out more about our home and commercial pest control options and to find one that best fits your needs.