How familiar are you with cockroaches? Are they just a scary creature you have heard about and seen on television, or do you see them in your home so frequently that you started to give them names? Regardless of your relationship with cockroaches, we are sure of one thing. You don’t want them anywhere near your home for a wide variety of reasons. To help you fight back against roaches, here is a comprehensive step-by-step guide to cockroach control.
Common Roaches In Charleston
There are four major species of cockroaches in South Carolina. We have American roaches, German roaches, Oriental roaches, and brown-banded roaches. Although each is different in appearance, all have six legs and are oval-shaped with flat bodies and long antennae.
All four of these roaches also pose health threats to humans. Cockroaches in general are filthy pests that are known for picking up and spreading dangerous bacteria, pathogens, and parasitic worms. Just a few of the most serious diseases cockroaches spread to humans include salmonellosis, typhoid fever, cholera, and the plague. With all of this in mind, you can understand why it's so important to defend your home against these unwanted critters.
Step #1: Identifying Attractants
Roaches are lured into homes by several factors. Most commonly, they come into structures looking for food, water, and shelter. To help you better understand why your home might be inviting in roaches, here are some common attractants that you can look out for:
- Food left out on countertops, tabletops, or dropped on the floor
- Pet food/water bowls
- Grease build-up, especially underneath appliances
- Unsealed trashcans
- Improperly packaged stored goods such as cereal, rice, etc.
- Cluttered areas
- Leaky pipes and broken gutters
- High humidity
Step #2: Eliminate Attractants
The best thing you can do to eliminate attractants around your home is to simply clean and keep up with general maintenance. As long as your home isn’t riddled with leaks and food is properly stored, roaches will find it difficult to survive inside. To help break things down, here are some practical ways you can eliminate cockroach attractants:
- Store leftover food away inside airtight containers.
- Make sure all of your trashcans are equipped with tight-fitting lids.
- Fix any leaky piping, fixtures, or broken gutters in and around your home.
- Clean regularly and keep clutter to a minimum.
Step #3: Seal Entry Points
Cockroaches can find their way into homes in many different ways. Some come in through gaps and cracks in your home’s exterior foundation while others crawl in through utility piping. To help you properly seal your home, here are a few tips our experts recommend:
- Use a caulking gun or some liquid cement to seal gaps and cracks in your home’s exterior.
- Check your weather stripping and make sure it is in good order.
- Repair or replace broken window and door screens.
- Place fine metal screens over open exterior ventilation/utility pipes.
- Make sure all of your exterior doors are equipped with door sweeps.
Step #4: Invest In Professional Pest Control
The only way to ensure your home stays cockroach-free year-round is with professional pest control services. Here at Anchor Pest Management, we offer a wide range of services for a variety of common household pests including cockroaches. If you require a pest-proof home or are looking for a way to handle a current infestation, our team can help. Give us a call today to find out why we are your absolute best choice for quality pest control services!